Subtitles Tutorial – Ripping Blu-ray Discs with forced subtitles
Subtitles can be used to translate dialog from a foreign language into the native language of the audience. It is not only the quickest and cheapest method of translating content, but is also usually preferred as it is possible for the audience to hear the original dialog and voices of the actors.
When you watch regular network television, you don’t have subtitles on. You also never do. You not deaf or hard of hearing. However, subtitles automatically appear when you watching a foreign language movie or an English movie with foreign language parts. It’s the English movie with foreign parts that’s the trouble. For some movies converter which can have embedded subtitle tracks, the tracks can have a “forced” flag. So even when the subtitle setting is set to “None”, those forced ones still appear, even on English movies. There is currently no way of making this work in player without fudging the audio language and subtitle language in the file so it fits in with the “Show with foreign audio” setting . But in some ways manually selecting the subtitle track during playback.
What is forced subtitle,Hard Subtitles and Soft Subtitles?
- forced subtitle: Subtitles are textual versions of the dialog in films and television programs, usually displayed at the bottom of the screen. Subtitles are common on Blu-ray movies. The most common type of subtitle is narrative subtitle, in which spoken dialogue is displayed. Comparing with narrative subtitle, forced subtitle is not so common.
- Hard Subtitles: This means the subtitles are written on top of the image permanently. They cannot be turned on or off like on the Blu-ray.
- Soft Subtitles: This means the subtitles will appear as separate selectable tracks in your output file. With the correct playback software, you’ll be able to enable / disable these subtitles as required.
Free tools like FFmpeg, Handbrake usually can’t rip Blu-ray disc with forced subtitles correctly. Then how to work it out? Forced subtitles option in Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate tool is a great choice to preserve only subtitles and lines in foreign language. The program can allow users to create videos only with forced subtitles when ripping Blu-ray to MKV, AVI, MP4, MOV, M4V, WMV, etc, as you like by removing all the restrictions of Blu-ray like AACS, BD+, MKBVv47, etc.
– Pavtube old official address: http://www.pavtube.cn/blu-ray-video-converter-ultimate/
– Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/Pavtube-Video-Converter-Ultimate/3000-2194_4-75938564.html
The Steps of add subtitles to you blu-ray movies
Step 1: Add Blu-ray movies
Insert your disc to your Blu-ray drive, and launch Pavutbe Video Converter Ultimate, click the disc button to import your Blu-ray movies to the program.
Step 2. Choose showing forced subtitle
Specify English in “Subtitle” pull-down list, and then check “forced subtitles” before converting. When “forced subtitles” is checked, the subtitles appear on the screen only when foreign languages (i.e. Francais) other than English are spoken.
Step 3. Select output format
Tap Format bar and choose your blu-ray movies desired format. As you see, regular video formats like AVI, MP4, WMV, FLV, MKV, MOV, etc. are provided. Besides, you can also find lots of optimized profiles for many popular portable media devices including Android devices or iPad, iPhone , Smart TV, and VR headset more.
Step 4. Start add Blu-ray with forced subtitles
Click the convert button and start converting Blu-ray with forced subtitles. Once the conversion finished, you can get the ripped video with the forced subtitles as you wanted. And just share your movies with families and friends.
Maybe You want to know Some Information about subtitles
- CEA-608 Closed Captions (and some ATSC streams) – When selected, these will be passed through from your source file to the MKV or MP4 output file.
- Only 1 CC track can be read from the source.
- CC tracks within an MP4 appear as a subtitle track, not a CC track.
- SRT subtitle import – You can import SRT files into Pavtube through the “Subtitles tab”.
- You can import multiple SRT subtitle tracks.
- You can set an offset (measured in milliseconds) to change the start time that the first and subsequent SRT subtitles will appear. Use trial and error encoding a single chapter to obtain the correct offset.
- You should make sure the correct character code is selected from the “Char Code” dropdown. Selecting the wrong code, will result in your output file having no subtitle track, and can cause the player to crash when playing that track.
- SRT Passthru
- SRT Subtitles can also be passed through from input video files.
- DVD Bitmap Subtitles (VOBSUB)
- With MP4, you can burn ONLY 1 subtitle track into the video.
- With MP4, you can not pass-through VOBSUB tracks.
- With MKV, you can pass-through multiple VOBSUB tracks. These are not burned into the video unless you choose to do so however you can only burn 1 subtitle track into the file. The rest must be passed through.
- Bluray PGS Subtitles
- With MP4, you can burn ONLY 1 subtitle track into the video. You can not pass-through PGS into MP4 as this file format does not support it.
- With MKV, you can pass-through multiple PGS tracks. These are not burned into the video unless you choose to do so however you can only burn 1 subtitle track into the file. The rest must be passed through.
- SSA Subtitles
- SSA Subtitles can be passed-thru or burned into the video.
- When burned into the video, all styling (e.g. fonts, colors, etc) is preserved.
- Animated effects (e.g. fade in/out, karaoke) are not currently supported. (Only the middle frame of the animation will be used.)
- When passed-thru as text, only bold/italic/underline styles are preserved. Some players may not support the simultaneous display of multiple passed-thru SSA subtitles.
Preparation: Download external SRT/ASS/SSA subtitles for your movie
Here is a simple way to show you Download external SRT/ASS/SSA subtitles for your movie
There are many websites that offers SRT/ASS/SSA subtitles for the latest and hottest popular movies as well as TV films. You could choose either from below top 5 sites to download external subtitles of your movie online.
This site offers subtitles not only for the latest and hottest popular movies but also TV films. Subtitles on this site are in multiple languages and for DivX/Xvid movies and packed with WinZip. The common file format of these subtitles is srt.
This site provides numerous subtitles in different languages including French, English, Spanish and more.
You should register to become membership of this site to upload or download subtitles and downloaded subtitle files are packaged with WinZip, you need unzip it before adding into video.
Subtitle files of more than 500 TV series and hot movies can be found on this site, and the subtitles provided are for DivX videos in 11 different languages.
Multiple kinds of subtitles can be downloaded from this site, and you can easily add sub files into movies.
Now let’s start the process of adding SRT/ASS/SSA subtitles into movie files for entertainment.
Have more questions about Pavtube, please feel free to contact us >> or leave a message at Facebook also have some movies, devices, VR headsets and so on. Coming to join us !